A truce between Israel and Hamas was extended just before it was due to expire, the two sides have announced.

Mediator Qatar reported that it would continue for one day under the same conditions that saw hostages released in exchange for prisoners.

Minutes before the halt in fighting was due to expire at 5am Irish time, Israel's military said the "operational pause" would be extended.

"In light of the mediators' efforts to continue the process of releasing the hostages and subject to the terms of the framework, the operational pause will continue," it said.

The prime minister's office subsequently confirmed the extension, saying it had received a new list of hostages.

"A short time ago, Israel was given a list of women and children in accordance with the terms of the agreement, and therefore the truce will continue," it said, without specifying for a timeframe.

Hamas released footage of its fighters releasing hostages

Hamas meanwhile said there was an agreement to "extend the truce for a seventh day", without further details.

It had earlier said Israel initially refused to extend the truce after it offered to hand over seven hostages and the bodies of three more.

Qatar, which has led the truce negotiations, confirmed the pause had been extended for a day "under the same previous conditions".

The announcement came hours after US Secretary of State Antony Blinken arrived in Israel last night, and with growing pressure for an extension of the pause.

It has brought a temporary halt to fighting that began on 7 October when Hamas militants stormed over the border into Israel, killing 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and kidnapping about 240, according to Israeli authorities.

Israel's subsequent air and ground campaign in Gaza has killed nearly 15,000 people, also mostly civilians, according to Hamas officials, and reduced large parts of the north of the territory to rubble.

We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

The truce agreement allows for extensions if Hamas can release another ten hostages a day, but earlier both sides warned they were ready to return to fighting.

Hamas's armed wing told its fighters to "maintain high military readiness ... in anticipation of a resumption of combat if it is not renewed," according to a message posted on its Telegram channel.

IDF spokesman Doron Spielman said troops would "move into operational mode very quickly and continue with our targets in Gaza", if the truce expired.

China seeks 'sustained humanitarian truce'

Overnight, ten more Israeli hostages were freed under the terms of the deal, with another four Thai hostages and two Israeli-Russian women released outside the framework of the arrangement.

Video released by Hamas showed masked gunmen handing hostages to the International Committee of the Red Cross.

Among those freed was Liat Beinin, who also holds American citizenship, and works as a guide at Israel's Holocaust museum Yad Vashem.

US President Joe Biden said he was "deeply gratified" by the release. "This deal has delivered meaningful results," he said of the truce.

Shortly after the hostages arrived in Israel, the country's prison service said 30 Palestinian prisoners had been released, including well-known activist Ahed Tamimi.

Large parts of Gaza have been destroyed in the Israeli bombardment

Since the truce began on 24 November, 70 Israeli hostages have been freed in return for 210 Palestinian prisoners.

Around 30 foreigners, most of them Thais living in Israel, have been freed outside the terms of the deal.

Israel has made clear it sees the truce as a temporary halt intended to free hostages, but there are growing calls for a more sustained pause in fighting.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres demanded a "true humanitarian ceasefire", warning Gazans are "in the midst of an epic humanitarian catastrophe".

China, whose top diplomat Wang Yi was in New York for Security Council talks on the violence, urged an immediate "sustained humanitarian truce", in a position paper released overnight.

The hostage releases have brought joy tinged with agony, with families anxiously waiting each night to learn if their loved ones will be freed, and learning harrowing details from those who return.

Four-year-old Abigail was captured after crawling out from under the body of her father, killed by militants, covered in his blood, her great aunt Liz Hirsh Naftali said.

"It's a miracle," she said of the little girl's survival and release.

Israeli forces clash with Palestinians in Ramallah in the West Bank

However, Israel's army also said yesterday it was investigating a claim by Hamas's armed wing that a ten-month-old baby hostage, his four-year-old brother and their mother had all been killed in an Israeli bombing in Gaza.

Israel pounded Gaza relentlessly before the truce, forcing an estimated 1.7 million people to leave their homes and limiting the entry of food, water, medicine and fuel.

Conditions in the territory remain "catastrophic", according to the World Food Programme, and the population faces a "high risk of famine".

Israeli forces targeted several hospitals in northern Gaza during the fighting, accusing Hamas of using them for military purposes.

The violence in Gaza has also raised tensions in the West Bank, where nearly 240 Palestinians have been killed by either Israeli soldiers or settlers since 7 October, according to the Palestinian health ministry.

An eight-year-old boy and a teenager were the latest deaths in the occupied territory, with Israel saying it "responded with live fire ... and hits were identified" after suspects hurled explosive devices towards troops.

Two dead, eight wounded in Jerusalem shooting

Three people have been killed and several wounded in a shooting in Jerusalem, according to police.

They said the two assailants from annexed east Jerusalem carried out the attack near a bus stop on the western side of Jerusalem, where there are no checkpoints guarding the entrance to the city.

"Two terrorists arrived in a car, one of them armed with an M-16 and the other with a pistol," and opened fire, Jerusalem police chief Doron Torgeman told reporters at the scene.

The two attackers "were neutralised on the scene shortly after the attack by two off-duty IDF (Israeli army) soldiers and another civilian who fired at them", police said in a statement.

"A police search of the terrorists' car revealed ammunition and weaponry," the statement said, adding that three of the wounded were in serious condition.

Israeli security forces secure the scene of the shooting

Footage circulating on social media and broadcast on Israeli television showed two men emerging from a white car and opening fire on people waiting for a bus, before security personnel and bystanders intervened and return fire.

The Magen David Adom emergency service said one of the fatalities was a 24-year-old woman.

The shooting follows a number of attacks last month.

On 6 October, an Israeli border police officer died after being stabbed by a Palestinian assailant at a police station in east Jerusalem.

Ten days later, an Israeli soldier was shot and killed at a checkpoint on the eastern side of Jerusalem at the entrance to a tunnel linking the West Bank with the city.

Another five Israeli security personnel were wounded, with Israeli police shooting dead all three assailants.

That attack was claimed by the armed wing of Hamas, the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades.